Monday, August 15, 2011

Fascinating Economics of the Middle East

To me this NYTimes article captures so much about what is fascinating about economics:

Some of the fascinating principles it captures:

  • Cars contribute negative externalities (congestion, pollution) such that the free market equilibrium is not efficient
  • Governing bodies can reduce the impact of the negative externality by taxing or, in this case, reducing the supply of cars
  • Trade costs go up when there is policing and border checks
  • Profit margins tend to go down with more competition.
  • People will take advantage of new arbitrage opportunities
This article reminds me of my fabulous year in Egypt and why what I learned there got me so interested in studying economics


1 comment:

  1. I didn't understand much of this post but i'm interested in finding out why your time in Egypt got you interested in economics!

    ReplyDelete